- Dish type
- Bread without yeast
- Soda bread
This recipe was given to me by my mother, Agnes Walters. It is made with soured cream and always comes out moist and keeps for several days.
332 people made this
- 500g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 475ml soured cream
- 150g sultanas or raisins
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:1hr ›Ready in:1hr10min
- Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas 3. Grease two 500g loaf tins.
- Mix the flour, sugar, bicarb of soda, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, soured cream and sultanas or raisins and mix until just combined. Distribute mixture evenly between the two tins.
- Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(337)
Reviews in English (274)
This is awesome ..eat it like a cake or put jam butter or anything else on it like soda bread.....i used slightly less sugar and buttermilk instead of sour cream..my partner thought it was delicious-26 Jun 2014
A lovely recipe. Very easy to make, lovely and moist, with a subtle rather than overpowering sweetness. It would be ideal to serve, buttered, for afternoon tea. Its very more-ish so I don't think a loaf would last too long!-22 Jul 2011
More of a cake than a bread but amazing none the less!-29 Jul 2010