- Dish type
This soup is for Thai-food lovers. With all the ingredients to hand it's actually an easy soup to throw together. Some of the harder to find ingredients - such as glangal and kaffir lime leaves - can be obtained at larger supermarkets or your local Asian market.
86 people made this
- 450g prawns, peeled and deveined
- 2 (400g) tins coconut milk
- 475ml water
- 1 (2.5cm) piece galangal, thinly sliced
- 4 sticks lemon grass, bruised and chopped
- 10 kaffir lime leaves, torn in half
- 450g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 60ml lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons dark brown soft sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:25min ›Ready in:40min
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Boil the prawns until cooked, about one minute. Drain and set aside.
- Pour the coconut milk and 475ml of water in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add the galangal, lemon grass and lime leaves; simmer for 10 minutes, or until the flavours are infused. Strain the coconut milk into a new pan and discard the spices. Simmer the shiitake mushrooms in the coconut milk for five minutes. Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce and dark brown soft sugar. Season to taste with curry powder.
- To serve, reheat prawns in the soup, and ladle into serving bowls. Garnish with spring onion and red chilli flakes.
Galangal is available in larger supermarkets and via Ocado. In a pinch, substitute fresh root ginger mixed with a little lemon juice.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(96)
Reviews in English (76)
Added chilli, green beens and spring onions-23 Sep 2015
first, thank you for the good reviews. And, babbini ur totally right, when i submitted this recipe to the site , i put red curry powder, and u can substitute it for cayenne pepper too, but i think it was a typing mistake, they deleted the word red. And u can substitue galangal by ginger, however don't skip the lime leaves or the lemongrass, it makes a big difference. thanks again!!-09 Jun 2006
Easy on the brown sugar, I would put a tablespoon. Also we couldn't find lime leafs so we zested a lime instead. Just as good in my opinion.-09 Feb 2008