- Dish type
- Pies and tarts
- Broccoli quiche
Broccoli takes centre stage in this boldly flavoured quiche.
62 people made this
- 275g broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 (23cm) unbaked pastry case
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 475ml double cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 125g grated provolone or mozzarella cheese
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:35min ›Ready in:1hr
- Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas 5.
- Place a steamer basket in a medium saucepan filled with about 2.5cm of water. Place broccoli in the steamer basket, and bring water to the boil. Cover, and steam 5 minutes, or until broccoli is tender but still firm.
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat, and saute garlic and onion until tender. Mix in the broccoli and continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes. Season with red chilli flakes. Transfer to the pastry case.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolk and double cream. Pour over the broccoli mixture in the pastry case. Season with salt and pepper. Top with grated cheese.
- Bake 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Provolone is an Italian cheese similar to mozzarella, only firmer and more flavourful. If you can't find provolone, use mozzarella or even Gruyere or Cheddar for equally delicious results!
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(65)
Reviews in English (56)
I have made many quiche recipes over the years and this was absolutely the best!. I used Krusteaz pie crust mix for the crust, and Trader Joe's mediteranean cheese mix. (Provolone, Fontina, Kasseri) The quiche took longer, maybe because I used a pottery quiche dish, not a pie pan. OOOOH so worth the wait. My family loves this and I will make it again as soon as I have some leftover steamed broccoli......thanks-20 Jan 2003
In a word "yummy". I think this was one of the best quiches I ever made, and my husband, who is a "real man" liked it too.-03 May 2002