- Dish type
- Biscuits and cookies
A ginger biscuit with added coffee flavour.
75 people made this
- 150g (5 oz) butter
- 100g (4 oz) dark brown soft sugar
- 100g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon semi-skimmed milk
- 250g (9 oz) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:35min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas mark 6. Line baking trays with baking parchment.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar, caster sugar, egg, vanilla and milk until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and instant coffee. Add to sugar mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Shape dough in 2cm (1 in) balls. If it's too soft to shape, chill it for a while. Place balls 5cm (2 in) apart on prepared baking trays. Flatten to 1cm (1/2 in) thickness with fork or glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes until lightly browned.
If you don't have powdered instant coffee, use a pestle and mortar to make a powder out of instant coffee granules.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(62)
Reviews in English (48)
This was just okay for me. I think what really turned me off was the granules of instant coffee that I'd crunch into while I was eating the cookie. If I ever make this again, I'll try a powder or I'll use fresh-brewed coffee.-21 Jul 2008
A rare thing amongst "ginger biscuit with added coffee flavour" in having no ginger at all in it....however, that aside...Tried replacing the coffee powder and milk with 4 tbsp strong espresso plus 1 tbsp camp coffee and chicory plus boosting the flour by 50 gms and throwing in 50gms coconut. Made 30. Grrrrreat, especially with a dab of coffee icing on top of each just enough to hold on half a walnut for all except six in which I stuck a walnut half into the top before baking.-12 Sep 2013
Altered ingredient amounts.I accidentally read the recipe wrong and put in only 2 teaspoons of coffee -- Ooops! The coffee flavour wasn't as strong as I would have liked, although you could still taste it, but I think I'd like them more if the texture was different.-21 Jul 2008