- Meat and poultry
- Cuts of chicken
- Chicken breast
I love Chettinad chicken. This curry goes very well with plain rice and papadum on the side.
5 people made this
- 1kg skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 3 large onions, minced
- 4 green chillies, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 250g chopped fresh tomatoes
- 120ml water
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:45min ›Ready in:1hr15min
- Rub the chicken pieces with the turmeric and salt. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or kadhai over medium heat. Fry the poppy seeds, peppercorns, fennel seed, coriander seed and cumin seed in the hot oil until they just begin to change colour; remove from the frying pan, keeping the oil in the frying pan. Grind the spice mixture with a mortar and pestle and set aside.
- Add the onion, green chillies, curry leaves, ginger paste and garlic paste to the remaining oil; cook until the onions are golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir the tomatoes and ground spices into the mixture; cook until the tomatoes are softened. Add the chicken. Season with salt and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour the water over the mixture, cover and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle and the juices run clear, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(6)
Reviews in English (5)
by Sara Rajan
My husband, who is from southern India, found this recipe and asked me to prepare it. This is fabulous! I added 11 fresh green chiles rather than just 4, since we love spicy dishes. Also, I didn't have whole peppercorns on hand, so I just used 2 teaspoons of ground black pepper. Thanks for sharing the recipe!-19 Oct 2011
I found it bland compared to the real Chicken Chettinad. Need to add, cloves, red chili powder, scraped/grated coconut and increase the curry leaves.-29 Aug 2012