- Meat and poultry
This is a deliciously different Cuban-inspired stew. I've had similar at a Cuban restaurant. If you can't find smoked sausage, use a good quality regular pork sausage. This is delicious over steamed white rice.
34 people made this
- 450g smoked sausage
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 (400g) tins chickpeas, undrained
- 125g passata
- 3 tablespoons sherry or Marsala
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons red chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:30min ›Ready in:40min
- Slice sausage lengthways, then cut into 5mm slices.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown sausage about 5 minutes. Stir in onion; cook 5 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and juices, passata and sherry. Season with oregano, red chilli flakes, black pepper, garlic granules and adobo seasoning. Simmer, stirring occasionally, at least 10 minutes, but 1 hour or more is preferable.
You can add 3 teaspoons adobo seasoning to this dish for even more flavour. Adobo seasoning can be found online or in some speciality shops. A well known brand is Goya.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(50)
Reviews in English (45)
by island girl
I made this last night. what a great easy dinner. I did not have tomato sauce so I used a can of chopped tomatoes. I simmered it for an hour. The smell was great ! At the end I added some chopped fresh cilantro. I served it over brown rice. Very good.-26 Mar 2010
by Michelle El Homsi
This was great! I love chic peas and always try to fine a dish to cook them with. The only thing I did was add more garlic powder and half the red pepper called for, I am not to big on spicy hot food and it was just perfect. Husband and kids loved it, made over white rice. This will def. be made again, I might add some other veggies in it next time. Thanks!-05 Nov 2008