- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Apple cake
This apple cake recipe will become a family favourite every autumn. There's nothing better to showcase the delicious flavour and aroma of local, in-season apples. Serve with custard or cream for a beautiful sweet ending to any meal.
78 people made this
- 110g margarine
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 175ml milk
- 2 apples - peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:55min ›Extra time:1hr15min › Ready in:2hr30min
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream margarine and 200g sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla until fluffy. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the sifted ingredients. Spread the batter into a greased 23cm round or square cake tin.
- Place apple pieces in rows on the batter with the sharp edges pressed in slightly. Sprinkle 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Bake at 180 C / Gas 4 for about 50 to 60 minutes, or until the apples are tender and the cake tests done.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(66)
Reviews in English (62)
Excellent cake, made it for colleagues and they loved it, really easy-07 Nov 2012
Gorgeous, moist with a slight crunch on top. Love it!-31 Aug 2014
Looked simple and it is, but with great results worried about the tablespoon of baking powder but it is needed. I also popped in a bit of cinnamon to the cake mixture. This is a simple very delicious cake!! Will be baking this again!!-03 Apr 2015