Chicken Piccata Shopping Tips
Buy whole chickens and ask the butcher to quarter them for you. You will save an average of $5 per pound, or more.
Chicken Piccata Cooking Tips
Legs take longer than breasts to cook. For more consistent results, mark the chicken on the grill and then finish cooking them in an oven.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Piccata is a perfectly tender, juicy, flavorful dinner. Delicious chicken, coated in breadcrumbs and then simmered in a lemon caper sauce.
This easy Chicken Piccata recipe is the perfect easy Weeknight Dinner that’s sure to impress. With its rich lemon caper sauce, the dish seems a lot more fancy and difficult than it actually is. For more surprisingly easy chicken recipes try Beer Braised Chicken Thighs and Chicken Parmesan next.
Lemon Chicken Piccata is a wonderfully juicy and flavorful dish. The chicken is coated in Italian breadcrumbs and seasoning. Then the piccata sauce is made with chicken stock, white wine, lemon juice, and parsley. It’s a tangy, refreshing sauce, and the chicken soaks up lots of delicious flavor from it.
Serve this classic dinner recipe up with equally classic side dishes like Mashed Potatoes, Dinner Rolls, or Roasted Broccoli. It’s a simple dish that’s easy to dress up with delicious sides for a special occasion. If you’re serving a bigger group for dinner, just use 4 chicken breasts and double up on the sauce ingredients.
When you’re cooking boneless, skinless chicken breast, it’s easy for the tender meat to dry out. That’s why it’s important to tent the chicken in foil after cooking to trap the moisture inside. The good thing is it’s also good at absorbing the flavors around it. This is exactly what it does in this delicious recipe, so the whole dish is packed with savory, tangy flavor from the sauce.
MORE CHICKEN RECIPES
Slow Cooker Brown Sugar Sriracha Chicken
Braised Chicken Breast with Mushrooms
Oven Baked Rotisserie Chicken Breasts
Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
TIPS FOR MAKING CHICKEN PICCATA
- Chicken: Season the chicken breast with salt and pepper, then press Italian breadcrumbs into both sides of each piece. Put your skillet over medium heat and add butter to the base. Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side until it is cooked through and golden brown. Take the chicken out of the skillet and set it on a plate tented in foil.
- Piccata sauce: Add garlic and white wine to your pan. Stir them together, and let them reduce for 3 minutes. Add in the chicken broth, lemon slices, lemon juice, and capers. Cook for another 6-8 minutes until the sauce is reduced by half, then turn the heat off. Add 3 more tablespoons of butter and stir until the sauce is smooth.
- Serve: Return chicken to the pan, or pour the sauce over the chicken on your serving dish. Garnish with parsley and serve.
VARIATIONS ON CHICKEN PICCATA
- Creamy Chicken Piccata: To make a more rich and creamy sauce, just whisk heavy cream into the Piccata sauce until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Parmesan Piccata: To get a cheesy chicken recipe, try mixing 1/3 cup Parmesan in with the breadcrumbs before you coat the chicken in it.
- Breadcrumbs: Instead of Italian breadcrumbs you can use regular Panko breadcrumbs, whole wheat breadcrumbs, or a crushed pretzel coating. You can also make a gluten-free recipe by using gluten-free breadcrumbs.
- Vegetables: For some veggie add-ins try adding sun-dried tomatoes, red onions, spinach, or mushrooms.
SIDES TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN PICCATA
Roasted Green Beans
Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Cheesy Garlic Scalloped Potatoes
HOW TO STORE CHICKEN PICCATA
- Serve: Don’t leave the chicken out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Store: Let the Chicken Piccata cool down, then cover it in plastic wrap or put it in an airtight container. It will stay good in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: You can also seal and freeze the chicken for up to 4 months. Let it thaw in the fridge before reheating it on the stovetop or in the oven.
Like this recipe? Save it to your Pinterest board now!
The Best Chicken Piccata Recipe
This is the best Chicken Piccata I’ve ever tried and it’s so easy to make you guys! I am not kidding when I say 20 minutes – tops. The hardest part is pulling out the ingredients.
The dredging mixture is perfectly seasoned and the fresh lemon juice, white wine and chicken broth based sauce is what sets this recipe apart from the rest and gives it that finger lickin’ flavor. This will quickly become part of your regular rotation.
If you do plan on serving with pasta, get the water boiling right away because that is what you are going to be waiting on.
Flattened Chicken Breast with Lemon-Caper Sauce
This Piccata recipe is made of chicken breast with lemon-caper sauce.
The chicken breast is flattened to an even thickness then seasoned and dredged in flour before being browned in olive oil.
The lemon-caper sauce is made of pan drippings, unsalted butter, shallots, lemon, white wine, low-sodium chicken broth, dry white wine, and capers.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 25 minutes
- Course: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- Author: Sabrina Snyder
Chicken Piccata is a perfectly tender, juicy, tasty dinner. Delicious chicken is coated with breadcrumbs and then simmered in a lemon and caper sauce.
- 2 large chicken breast , boned and without skin
- 1/2 teaspoonful kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoonful coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter , divided
- 1 clove garlic , chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken fund
- 1 lemon , thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup hijackers , drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup parsley , for decoration
Note: Click on the times in the instructions to start a kitchen clock while cooking.
Cut the two chicken breasts into four thinner fillets.
Season chicken with salt and pepper, and press into Italian breadcrumbs on both sides.
Add 2 tablespoons butter to a large frying pan over medium heat and cook chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through.
Remove chicken from pan and add to foil plate.
Add garlic and white wine to the garlic.
Stir to combine and then reduce by half, approx. 3-4 minutes .
Add chicken broth, lemon slices, lemon juice and capers and cook 6-8 minutes until reduced by half.
Turn off the heat, add the remaining 3 tablespoons butter and stir well until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
Add the chicken back to the pan, spoon the sauce over it to coat and garnish with chopped parsley.
Yield: 4 servings, amount per. Serving: 348 calories, calories: 348 g, carbohydrates: 14 g, protein: 27 g, fat: 18 g, saturated fat: 10 g, cholesterol: 110 mg, sodium: 1036 mg, potassium: 518 mg, fiber: 1 g , sugar: 2g, vitamin A: 515g, vitamin C: 15g, calcium: 44g, iron: 1g
Creamy Chicken Piccata
How do you like your chicken piccata? Because I like mine extra-extra creamy. You know, so you have enough sauce for your vegetables, your pasta, or you know, for the crusty bread to sop up all the good bits.
So that’s exactly what we have here. Extra-extra creamy as I call it. And you know I love using boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but as always, you can substitute chicken breasts if you prefer white meat. You’ll still have all the saucy goodness to go around!
Serve with the wine you cook with in this recipe – no need to let that go to waste!
How to make Best Chicken Piccata Recipe Ever
- It can make the chicken cook beautifully
- Since butter has a very low burning point it prevents the oil from burning quickly, on the other hand, olive oil can help the butter not to brown quickly.
- It can enhance the flavor.
- In the same pan where you fry the chicken, add the remaining olive oil and butter. Add the garlic, eschalot, and thyme leaves, stirring it until the eschalot has softened. I bet the aroma of herbs making this recipe appetizing.
- Then, you can add lemon juice, thickened cream, and chicken stock. At this time, season it with salt and pepper, then let it simmer.
- Now, put back the chicken in the pan, simmered it for 10 minutes until the sauce thickened, and add the slices of lemon. Finally, remove the pan from heat and add capers, parsley, and more thyme on top.
This recipe is easy, delicious and you can adjust the ingredients to suit your taste. I have tried this recipe with mushrooms as well which was incredibly tasty. I love mushrooms and I hope you will forgive me cause I’m running out of mushroom when I cook this recipe.
Some prefer to use white wine instead of chicken stock, up to what you prefer to use.
The best chicken piccata recipe can be different, with or without wine, with or without cream, but it must be a dish that you cook with love.
Surely everyone has a dish that you like to cook with the whole family or a group of friends, communicating and enjoying each other&rsquos company. For my family, this should be, first of all, not complicated dishes. Of them, I am sharing it with you.
WHAT IS THE ORIGIN OF CHICKEN PICCATA?
Piccata is of Italian origin, but the original version mainly uses veal, not chicken. In the name of the dish lies the method of its preparation.
WHAT VEGETABLE GOES WITH CHICKEN PICCATA?
Chicken piccata &ndash a dish to which you can pick up a wide variety of side dishes from a vegetable.
It can be both fresh vegetables &ndash cucumbers, tomatoes, arugula, and different types of vegetable salads.
It can be either fresh vegetables &ndash cucumbers, tomatoes, arugula, different types of vegetable salads, or baked or fried vegetables. Incredibly delicious &ndash cheesy zucchini bake, roasted cauliflower, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts.
HOW DO YOU KEEP CHICKEN PICCATA WARM?
To keep the chicken piccata warm, leave it on the stove over low heat. Or you can put it in the
oven at a low temperature. In this case, the chicken will be even softer.
WHAT IS CHICKEN PICCATA MADE OF?
Chicken piccata is pieces of chicken breast, chopped in flour, fried to a golden crust, and brought to readiness in a fragrant sauce of broth, garlic, lemon, capers, and parsley.
WHAT&rsquoS GOOD SIDE FOR CHICKEN PICCATA?
Serving a piccata is best with spaghetti or mashed potatoes. You can also dispense with side dishes altogether by using baked vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus instead.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHICKEN PICCATA AND CHICKEN FRANCESE?
Chicken piccata and chicken piccata francese are very similar dishes but have some differences. In the French version, we use smaller pieces of chicken, which, after dipping in flour, dip in a beaten egg and then fry in a pan.
TIPS TO MAKE CHICKEN PICCATA
- Dredged the chicken in corn starch instead of flour (someone had a gluten intolerance), and was still great.
- To make the chicken softer, beat it before cooking.
- For a richer flavor, add a little cream to the sauce.
- It is better to use more sauce than less for cooking piccata. The better the chicken is soaked in the sauce, the tastier it will be.
What to Serve with Chicken Piccata?
Chicken can be served with any side dishes, such as spaghetti, mashed potatoes, or even rice. If you want a lighter side dish, grab some vegetables, fresh or roasted.
The Best-Ever Chicken Piccata Recipe
After a long day, you just want to come home to a true comfort meal. Enter chicken piccata. In case you're unfamiliar with this classic Italian staple, piccata translates to "cooked in a lemon and butter sauce." And the dish is just that—juicy, thin pieces of chicken breast dredged in flour and smothered in a zesty lemon-butter sauce, then topped with capers for an extra burst of flavor.
With this recipe, you can have a chicken dinner on the table in about 30 minutes. Not to mention, you'll be using classic Italian ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. That's our idea of a perfect, healthy, weeknight dinner!
Pro tip: If you've finished the chicken but have some leftover piccata sauce, warm it up the next day and add cooked shrimp, or use it as a deliciously creamy pasta sauce for linguine. The sauce is so versatile, you'll want to come up with new ways to use it!
Makes 2 to 3 servings
Chicken Piccata Recipe
When I lived in New York City, there was a restaurant in Hell’s Kitchen, 39th and 9th Avenue, just across from the Port Authority called Guido’s Restaurant or Supreme Macaroni. The front of the restaurant was a small store with shelves lined with pasta. You would walk through the store to get to the restaurant in back.
In my memory, Guido’s was bigger than the descriptions I’ve been reading online. According to a couple of websites, the restaurant only held 10 tables covered with checkered table cloths.
I’ve been looking for photos of the restaurant but only can find some of the front of the building and not the interior except for this famous photo taken for Billy Joel’s The Stranger Album.
I also remember you could order wine in carafes and they would give you what looked like juice glasses to drink from. The food was excellent.
Two of my favorite dishes at Guido’s were Veal Francaise and Chicken P
iccata. I’m sure I can’t duplicate the meal from Guido’s because a lot of the enjoyment came from the experience of being at this restaurant, but I can show you how to make a good chicken piccata recipe at home.
Best Chicken Piccata With Lemon Sauce
Chicken piccata with lemon sauce is exquisite and easy to prepare. Seasoned with parmesan and parsley, the chicken cooks up golden brown, then is drizzled with a light lemon sauce. The light and luscious lemon sauce really pops without being too acidic, it is simply divine.
8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup egg substitute
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth, divided
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
5 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
3 garlic cloves, minced